Thursday, April 5, 2012

Can you smell absurd and discrimination in this ad?


Source (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-zG5U0v3gU&feature=relmfu)

It is a commercial of DIRECTV, very short but really shocks us. It is also one of the DIRECTV’s series commercials in 2012. There are common points like the aside that “When your cable …. You….; When you….. You…..” and the changes of scenes with the aside, in these DIRECTV’s commercials. We can see its contents are easy that told consumers the bad cable TV shows can give them an unhappy result so they should choose the DIRECTY. This is the only appeal of this commercial. Audience like seeing an unbelievable story then the DIRECTV will appear in the last.

 Some of people may like that but we really hate this commercial. Why we choose this commercial? First, we did not see any reasonable logic in this commercial. You have a grandson with a dog collar just due to your cable? It is impossible. That is so absurd and cannot persuade us to change our choices. It tries to attack cables but just make us laugh. The bad logic and lack of persuasion make this commercial so powerless to consumers. Even, the consumer may hold opposed ideas toward DIRECTV.

 Second, this commercial is offensive because it obviously and overtly defame the young people whose study is not good or with strange attires. Also, it stereotype to these kinds of young people. These people can be good persons, though they do not like study or like strange attires. So we think these they will get angry when they see this commercial. If their families want to choice the DIRECTV instead of cable, do they agree?

 Other commercials of this series also have the same questions. They also need more reasonable logic and reasonable appeals. They have no discriminations to any groups of people so that at least they did not gross out people and may give them a deep impression to DIRECTV due to the absurd inference. However, this one is really a mistake.

8 comments:

  1. I honestly think this was done on a more humorous base than reality....I agree that there can be some stereotypes in this commercial, but this is all mean to be very "tongue in cheek" where people appreciate the joke rather than the reality of the situation...

    ARinaldi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've certainly watched commercials that are way more inappropriate than this one. I actually thought that the humor on this one might have connected with many consumers, including young people. I know that it sounds really absurd to blame your cable for having a grandson with a dog collar, but I don't think that it was the point the ad was trying to make anyways. The ad used some absurd humor accompanied by a tone of sarcasm to market DIRECTV.

    Manish B

    ReplyDelete
  3. The logical reasoning is nonsense.There are many things can induce a child to itiate. In my view, this ad has the problem of "Advertising as Untruthful or Deceptive".
    --Xiaowen Wu

    ReplyDelete
  4. I burst into laugh when watching this commercial. I admit that this commercial is unreasonable. But I think the unethical element in this commercial is not as obvious as some other commercials. It is more humorous than unethical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When coming to judge an ad to be negative or not, everyone's opinion is biased. Almost every ad each group picked led to controversy according to comments followed. It's hard to reach a united opinion upon an ad unless yours is really "negative". I guess one main reason contributing to this is the feeling we hold upon an ad is highly associated with the experience we have or the demography each of us represents. Personally, I wouldn't realize this commercial can be criticized as unethical or discriminative until the group analyzed it in this way. For me, I get the humor and sort of having fun with it. Maybe the logic is farfetched but is the ad really offensive to someone? I think I just have higher tolerance of such hilarious humor.
    Apart from the pick, I think the group did a good job on giving reasons for citing this ad as an negative example. According to the definition in textbook, being stereotype and discriminative are key criteria for judging. So for group 1, this ad is a negative one.
    Now I wonder based on what the ad has right now, what modification do you think the ad can employ to make it less negative?

    -Weilan(Misty) Xu

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the unreality in the advertisement is interesting, which could attractive me to watch it twice, and then the short advertisement contain a lot of information. Although the advertisement is not a good one, but it at least attractive some audiences like me, and made me remember the brand name.

    Kaiyu Xiong

    ReplyDelete
  7. This series of commercials are really popular now. I have at least seen 4 different editions about it. Actually the logical issue is the selling point in these commercials. They are not saying they are logical. In fact, they are trying to relate these outcomes in a funny, nonlogical ways. When you feel ridicules about it, you remember the brand.

    J Shen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the ad is so blatantly over the top that you can't help but laugh at its absurdity. There might be some slight stereotyping in this ad, but overall it's purpose is to be funny and make you remember it so you consider DirecTV.

    ReplyDelete