Thursday, April 5, 2012

Bad tastes about children and sex in Ad

Source(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_841F7HqCks)

This Super Bowl Commercial is for Doritos chip and portrays a young couple played by no less than 10 year old children. One little boy played the role of husband, coming home from work as usual with an unnatural and indifferent adult look on his face, “Honey, I am home.” Then a particular sound of his wife came out from the bedroom and this sound seems to make the little husband suspect his little wife (played by a little girl) of having sex related issues. Along his suspicion and the sound of trembling bed as well as his wife’s last sentence, “emmm, that’s nice”, this little anxious husband couldn’t help but entered into their bedroom, totally shocked by the scene before him. His wife is eating Doritos Chips and jumping up and down on the bed. Maybe her husband is jealous of her eating such a tempting food or maybe he think it’s not appropriate to eat food on bed, he finally put, “Get out!”, even though his wife told him gently, “Baby, it is not what you look like!” and finally his wife said, “You had a small bag, anyways.”

This commercial was inappropriate and it capitalized on children to indirectly send out sex signals, with an intention to pull in audience’s eyes. Advertisers may protest that they did not show any particular scene or language directly about sex. Audience may find fun from this adverting since they are played by children.

However, this advertising is tasteless and offensive to parents.

Children are supposed to be childish, and that’s the beauty of being a child.

Most young people without a child may find this adverting very funny, but parents wish their children to be grown up in a positive environment where no sex and fight involved.

In this ads, we can see very obviously that the sound of the trembling bed indicate what’s going on between men and women. At the end of the ads, the girl said, “You had a small bag, anyways!” It’s clear that the little boy dropped his briefcase when he entered the living room, and he carried nothing when he entered into their bedroom, so apparently the bag had another implicit meaning, as evidenced by the look from his wife. Children may not know exactly from what their parent know, but they are the exactly group which can imitate. This imitation would leads to further inappropriate behavior.  

For another, affected by his ads, children may begin to wonder, the relationship between Mom and Dam is like this: Dad come home from work and can yell to his wife if he want. This will shape children’s perspective on their future relationships in a negative way. In this sense, this commercial is a little bit unethical, it involved seducing children to imitate bad behaviors.

 I believe the original intention of advertiser is to attract people’s attentions and increase sales volume by seducing and waking the sexual element of people’s nature. Almost everyone average person are driven by the physical things: sex, food, money. We need them without questions, but pursuing them just for the sake of itself brings not happiness for us. We are human beings, we have higher pursuit, we love to care for people who in need and to contribute to society in our ways. Food or sex is only part of our life and their purpose is to stay healthy and have good relationships with spouse and to take more responsibility. Therefore, I believe the ads are not effective at all. It downgrades our taste and insults our intelligence.

14 comments:

  1. I do agree I was a bit nervous when I began to hear the squeaking noises coming from the bedroom, but when I saw the actual scenario, I could not help but giggle. This characterizes the melodrama of kid-dom and snack foods, where the little girl is having a ball jumping on the bed and eating Doritos by herself, and is discovered by her husband who is angered by the "affair"...i will admit, the content is a bit raunchy, but I would not think it to be incredibly terrible..

    ARinaldi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though the advertisement doesn't contain any nudity or strong language, I'd still prefer not to watch such content featuring little kids. Had this ad featured adults, maybe it would have proven to be a lot more acceptable. Advertisements featuring children must stick to themes such as fun, love, care and cartoons.

    Manish B

    ReplyDelete
  3. For one thing, if child audience has no knowledge about the sex thing, he or she may be can not get the meaning of that advertisement, then the advertisement is ineffective since it doesn't work out for these child audiences. For another thing, if child audience knows what's going on in this advertisement, the ad is playing a bad role influencing the children about the sex issue. So in a word, i do agree that this advertisement is not suitable.-- Chenlu Lou

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am shocked by the Ad. How could they advertise their product in this way. The parents will nauseate about the product. The kids might have no clue about what they are talking about. Furthermore, I don't think there is any connection between food and sex. I believe this ad is not effective at all.
    ---Xiaowen Wu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Children are supposed to be pure and unsophisticated. However, in this advertisement, they are manipulated to promote products in an extremely inappropriate way. Children are innocent. Advertisers should take ethic perspective into consideration when advertising.
    --Lingling Ge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't agree with you more. Relate children with sex issue and make them play husband & wife? This is ridiculous. Bad taste.

    YAN LI

    ReplyDelete
  7. making such a video is so not a good idea, because no one's gonna to like it. Children audience would be too young to understand it (and it would be worst if they could understand it); adult audience will feel uncomfortable watching this, parents might even feel upset and disgusting. Think of if parents and their 10 year old kids watching superbowl together, and this commercial pops out, how embarrassing it would be!
    though sexy ad is selling, dog ad is selling, children ad is selling, it is just not right to throw a commercial to the market without considering its audience's feeling and public's reaction. humor is fine, but getting to much across the line would only makes a brand or a product seems stupid.

    S Feng

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't like the idea combine the adults' action to the children. It makes the children to imitate it. I don't think they need to promote a Chip brand like this.Companies should consider more about their social responsibility. Gradually changes will made the market much more chaos.
    Richard Xu

    ReplyDelete
  9. First, i think that the ads for children should be focused on happiness and fun. However, this ad gave the children a sexual impress, which was not fine. For those children who did not know the meaning of sex, the ad would not work as excepted. But for the children who knew the meanings, this ad would give them a bad effect of sex. And also children are always easy to imitate things. When they seeing the ad, the children will imitate the behaviors in the ad, which would had a bad influence on their growing. I do agree that this was a bad ad for children.



    Yisa Zhou

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agree. Children should not be used in any ad that's relating to sex, even if they would not get the meaning behind it. And even if this ad is adults only, it's still VERY inappropriate, somehow it can let the adults imagine what's happening with the little girl... and it's like child pornography....errrrrrrrr. this is just TERRIBLE!!!!

    X.Ou

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the original purpose of using kids present some adults scenes is to create a comedic effect. Unfortunately, it turned out to be an odd idea. I think the idea to let children pretend to be adult is not bad, but they just picked up the wrong scene. If let these two cute littles to pretend an old couple and play a more positive scene, the effect will be much better.

    Jiefei Zhang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your assessment. I think perhaps this particular scene was a little over the top with the sexual innuendos, but kids often play house or similar games, so I don't have a problem with the overall concept.

      Delete
  12. Yes, I cannot agreet it more. Obviously, what the advertisers want to do is building a creative idea to attract audiences' eyes. That's right, they did creat a unique commercial because, from my points of view, out of range the limit of morality. I think the target market of this kind of snack is general household, and it would generate uncomfort feelings to children's parents. Finally, it would make a bad or disgusting impression on this brand.

    Kuo Zhong

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with the viewpoint in the article. The advertisement could not bring influence on customers effectively as expected by advertisers, because it focused too much on sex, and especially put children in an adult's role, which made parents feel embarrassed and could not accept that to be watched by children. This result would impair the image of the company only, rather than bring increase of sales. So I don't think it's an appropriate way to insert those combination of sex and children in the ads.

    Kaiyu Xiong

    ReplyDelete